November 26, 2013

Mia Hendricks

I discovered this illustrator, Mia Hendricks, who draws faces, and then lets her four year old daughter finish the bodies to create these slightly odd, but kind of adorable drawings.  

She writes on her blog Busymockingbird about how the collaboration process began by accident.
"I had drawn a woman’s face, and she had turned her into a dinosaur-woman.  It was beautiful, it was carefree, and for as much as I don’t like to share, I LOVED what she had created.  Flipping through my sketchbook, I found another doodle of a face I had not yet finished.  She drew a body on it, too, and I was enthralled.  It was such a beautiful combination of my style and hers.  And she LOVED being a part of it.  She never hesitated in her intent.  She wasn’t tentative.  She was insistent and confident that she would of course improve any illustration I might have done.  …And the thing is, she DID."
IMG_5151
She continues to talk about how the experience has taught her to be less rigid: "if you have a preconceived notion of how something should be, you will always be disappointed.   Instead, just go with it, just accept that something even more wonderful will come out of it."  
As a perfectionist and a pessimist, I think that is an excellent thought to keep in mind, especially when dealing with the creative process.
Artist collaborates with her 4-year-old - 03

outer face
If you think these prints are as charming as I did, you can go buy a print of your own at their shop on Society 6: http://society6.com/micaangela
SHORE Art Print