March 3, 2014

New Month, New Start and a Drawing Challenge

The minute I decided to start keeping a blog, I started over-thinking things. I can't help it, I'm a perfectionist and obsessing over details is something that I do. A lot, unfortunately.

I started looking at successful blogs for inspiration, but it ended up intimidating me to the point where I couldn't bring myself to post anything because it wasn't "pretty/interesting/creative enough". I read too many things about what made a successful blog, I compared my photography to too many experts, and eventually I started second-guessing why I actually wanted to do this. Then I came across this article in Style Me Pretty where 23 different bloggers with incredibly beautiful, successful blogs gave advice to newbie bloggers, and it was all the same:
Do it because you want to do it. Take time to find your unique voice, and don't try to please everyone. Use the blog as your creative outlet and become an expert once you find your style.

So, new month, new start. One of the things I've always wanted to do and have never been able to stick with is a daily drawing challenge. But this month, it's happening. For thirty minutes a day I am going to draw and even if it's terrible I'm going to share it with you guys! Thirty minutes. That's one episode of Parks and Rec. I can do this.

So here is the challenge!

And here is the first sketch: The Dreaded Self Portrait!