June 17, 2014

Stylishly Incapsulated

This weekend I finished the book Lessons From Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living In Paris by Jennifer Scott. It was a cute book with lots of stories about how charming the French are compared to our slovenly American ways and little tips on how to live a more elegant, respectable, and skinner life (apparently the trick is to not talk about how many calories you're eating).
The part that I was most interested in was where she talked about the French capsule wardrobe. Even though Madam Chic was a very wealthy woman, there was no walk-in closet filled with clothes she wore once or twice. There was only a set of seasonal outfits that she would wear; she wasn't embarrassed to wear the same outfit once a week because she knew what she looked good in. As I start mentally preparing myself to move to London for a year, the idea of a capsule wardrobe is definitely an intriguing one. When I traveled the world for six months, I lived out of a suitcase and managed to survive all kinds of climates with one heavy coat and lots of layering. Traveling forces us down to a capsule wardrobe, but the truth is that I loved it! I love the simplicity behind the capsule wardrobe.
I recently started following the blog Unfancy for her amazing printable worksheets on how to get yourself down to just the essential clothing pieces that perfectly capture your style, but are still adaptable to any social situation. She currently has a wardrobe of 37 essential pieces and says to ask yourself:
  • Am I drawn to colors or neutrals?
  • What colors make me happy to wear?
  • Fill in a pie chart to represent your lifestyle activities
  • Make a list of stores and brands that you love and work for your style
  • What colors have I been wanting to play around with?

Since I'll be going to school in London, I am considering maybe advancing past my boho grunge look and perhaps venturing into the world of more stylish dressing...for some reason I can't get the idea of a blazer out of my head. A blazer with skinny jeans and flowy silk shirts sounds mature enough for a grad student in London, right?