June 2, 2014

Coffee Shop Illustration //1

Seattle is a mecca for hip coffee places, each with distinct personality and character so I thought it would be a fun project to try a new place every week and do a little illustration/journaling about what I thought about each one!
This weekend I decided to try Bauhaus Books & Coffee in Capitol Hill, and yes, I picked it solely because of the name. I was hoping for a bookstore feel with lots of overstuffed chairs and cozy nooks, but instead it was very industrial and felt more like the study room of a school library. One wall of fake antique books does not a bookstore make! Apparently there used to be another location with a two story loft that had bookcases from floor to ceiling, and I probably would've enjoyed that one more. You order on the ground floor and then go upstairs for seating where there is a wall of windows and a cool balcony. Overall, it was a decent iced latte on a hot day, but not somewhere I would go back for regular hangout.

what I drank: 12oz doppio iced latte. It was smooth coffee, not bitter at all and pretty good.
what I liked: the natural light, lots of outlets for laptops, a well-stocked condiment bar, free wifi
what I didn't like: the baristas were not friendly and the second-floor seating made for limited people-watching, 
what I was reading: Lonely Planet Volunteer
This book is packed with ideas to go abroad and volunteer your time. It made me realize why I am having such a hard time working at Starbucks...it is a job that has zero significance. We can blame Starbucks for creating high maintenance, needy, whiny, snobby coffee drinkers who expect coffee delivery at Mach speed. I've been lucky enough to work at some places that really make a difference like a funeral home and creating art and volunteer doing some amazing things like midwife work in Africa, teaching in India, and building schools in South America. So Mr-Triple-Tall-Ristretto-Toffee-Nut-Soy-Latte (my least favorite customer) complaining that he didn't get his 10cent personal cup discount just makes me realize that I never want to be so petty that I get upset about insignificant things like coffee, sorry Mr. Schultz. In the book, there was a brief interview with a guy who took an advanced first aid class and then did emergency relief work in Pakistan after an earthquake. Another lady worked really hard at her career for the first twenty years, and then for her "retirement" she committed to giving back, which I think it incredibly inspiring. Live a life that matters. Don't be "that guy" at Starbucks who is too arrogant to even make eye contact with the barista.